Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike W.

Default Ridgid vs Craftsman table saw

I have the Craftsman 22114 that you are referring to. I love it. I,
too, spend many hours deciding between the two. I read opinion after
opinion on the Rigid TS3650 and a few on the Craftsman. The things that
made me pick the Craftsman we

1) The rigid had a lot of complaints about its base stability. And sure
enough as I stood at Home Depot I could rock the heck out of it with
minimal force.

2) There was some issue with the arbor on the TS3650 having a defect
that caused an issue with dados. I'm not sure if its fixed yet, but I'd
think it is.

Now, I saw a lot of posts where people easily fixed the racking of the
TS3650 with some additional bracing and I saw that Rigid was either
already or going to offer a replacement arbor. I couldn't bring myself
to buy a saw that I knew I was going to have to fix out of the box. I
still sweated the decision... until the 22114 went on sale for $549. I
think it was a Craftsman club deal on a normal sale day. I picked one
up that day.

To be honest, I would actually add the cost of my mobile base to even
the two saws out. I got two mobile bases for $75 on sale at a Rockler
store so I'll say $33 for the one on my TS.

As for my review... well I love my saw. Its no Unisaw, but its rock
solid. It was dead on out of the box so I didnt have to do much tuning.
The only thing I had to do was adjust the fence a bit. The fence is
solid, but admittedly probably not as solid as one that locks on the
rear like the Rigid. But all in all I would make the same purchase
again in a second. I don't use the miter guage for any precision cuts
nor do I ever use the auxillary fence. They seemed useful when I bought
it, but just haven't panned out.

If you have any more specific questions post them and I'll answer if I can.

P.S. I added a Forrest WoodWorker II blade shortly after my purchase
and that added another quality jump.

Mike W.

nospam wrote:
I'm honing in on my search for a new table saw. Looks like I'm down to
the Ridgid contractor's saw ($549 at the borg) vs. the Craftsman
contractor's saw (on sale this week at $629). The Ridgid includes a
mobile base (important to me); the Sears has a 3/4 cabinet and a 4" dust
collection port. Both are 1 1/2 hp with identical table top sizes. Each
has what appears to be a sturdy fence. The Sears saw has a miter gauge
extension.

Any thoughts from owners of either of these saws?

TIA

Cap'n 321