Posted to rec.woodworking
Zz Yzx

Default Minimum size for woodshop

I've been working in half of a two-car garage (with the double door on
the long side) for years.

Small shops are a real challenge, and like others have said, you have
to be very selective big iron, and what you can realistically
build. In my shop, a highboy or armoir are not realistic.

The biggest challenge is to balance the floor space occupied by tools,
bench, &tc., and still have enough room for a make-up table for larger
items. That's my biggest grip: no room for a make-up or finishjing
table. If you're not careful, you'll always be moving tools, jigs,
&tc. from the bench to the TS and back.

My advice: PLAN AHEAD. Think through and implement the dust
collection, wood and sheet goods storage, clamp strage, and fastener
and hand tool storage BEFORE you clutter it up with power tools.

-Zz

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 14:46:53 -0800, "Bob" wrote:

I would like to add a room to the side of my house for a small wood shop.
The best I can do with my property is a shop no more than nine feet wide.
Length can be as much as twenty feet. I would need a table saw, of course,
as well as a work bench and some of the essential, smaller power tools
(router table?, band saw?, etc.) Do I have enough space?
RB