Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Voltage drop - panel or utility issue?

"Dave Garrett" wrote in message

Within the past few days,
the UPSes have started clicking several times a day. These UPSes beep
several times when switching over to battery power, and they haven't
done that more than once or twice, but the clicking would seem to
indicate a voltage drop significant enough to cause them to start to
switch over.
I thought this must've fixed the problem, as it was not reproducible
while he was here, but a couple hours after he left, the UPSes started
clicking again.
Comments or recommendations?

Since you have more than one UPS doing the same thing, I'd have to say they
are doing their job.

Why not start with something simple. Buy or borrow a volt meter. Something
accurate enough to see a drop of say, 4 or 5 volts. Plug it into any place
in the house. Actually, try a few places and they should all read the same.
When you hear the UPS engaging, take a voltage reading. Do it a few times
during the day and if you find variations, record them. You may find a
pattern. If you see drops, call the power company. There can be a
differential of a couple of volts during the day as major industry comes on
line or shuts down, hot weather cranks up the AC, etc. Too much = problems

When I had a problem with bulbs burning out, I did some checking and found
morning spikes to 145 volts. There was a problem at a substation
transformer and quickly corrected. You'd think the utility company would
have a better handle on stuff like that, but not always.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/