Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Default Blower Motor Failure

wrote:

I have replaced the blower motor on my Trane Heat Pump system 4 times
in as many years. This was a new home system and the first motor went
out about 6 months after install. The technician said it was a fluke
and since it was under warranty, I was not very concerned. A little
over a year latter, it went out again. I called the original
installation company and asked why this was happening. They said it
was probably due to a dirty air filter. I assured them that this was
not the case as the filters are changed regularly. Since now the unit
was out of warranty, it would cost me $500 to replace the motor. I
replaced it myself with a slightly more powerful motor (from ½ to ¾
horse) and that motor lasted almost 2 years. Well now I'm on my 4th
motor. The air coming from the registers is very loud; much louder
than anyone else's home I've been in. I don't know if this is
related or not. What could be going on here? Thanks for any help.

What's the failure mode? Do they burn out? Bearings freeze up?

Blower motors should last 10's of years IMHO.

A three-quarter-horse motor seems awfully large for a blower.
Maybe you should be using a smaller, rather than larger, motor --
one that wouldn't use as much energy and therefore wouldn't get as hot.