Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default On oils and waxes

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 17:56:15 GMT, "Ken Moon" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 01:45:14 -0600, Prometheus
wrote:

I turn some pretty bland wood and I usually wet sand with natural Danish
oil...
If I'm sanding something kind of "blah", I'll wet sand it with the cherry
or
walnut Danish Oil to give it a little color and bring out any character..

======================
Mac,
What advantage do you get by wet sanding with the oil rather than sanding
first and then applying the oil? Is there some noticable difference in the
final appearance or just a time and step saver? The Danish oil I use (Watco)
instructs "flooding" the surface and allowing to sit for 30 minutes, then
reapplying for another 15 minutes before drying all oil off the piece. This
allows 45 minutes for max penetration. Seems to me that wet sanding wouldn't
allow this much time for penetration. Plus, on pourous woods, like oak and
walnut, the sanding slurry acts as a sealer/filler that can fill and dull
the color. Do you compensate for this, or do you not find it a problem?

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Ken.. I used to use mineral oil to wet sand stuff, went to Danish when I was
told that mineral oil isn't a finish.. *g*
Basically, the oil keeps the dust out of the air, flows some of the sawdust to
flow away from the paper and provides a little cooling...
I usually start with the oil about 1/2 way "through the grits"...

I use the directions you mentioned in flat work, but not usually with turning...

I apply oil and let it soak in for a few minutes, then wipe the excess off, then
sand until the oil is almost gone... that's usually when I change grits,
anyway..

Before each new grit, I lightly apply oil, wipe it of with lathe running, and
reapply to sand... I feel that this way I'm getting most of the last grit and
any "dirty" oil off the wood and preparing the wood for the next grit..

When the sanding is complete, I oil and wipe off a few more times to sort of
float any particles or whatever off, then brush on a heavy coat and let it sit
for a while..
I could flood it with the oil and it will hardly absorb any, as I've pretty
saturated it while sanding..

I set it aside for a few days and then buff..

I've bone dry and wet on pretty much identical things from the same wood and
just seem to get a smoother feel and deeper glow when buffed on the wet sanded
ones.. YWMV
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis