Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John2005

Default Request for help finding a cam curve that will have lower maximum contact stress than a Parabolic curve (and link to CAD and JPEG files)

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Is springbreak over?

Sounds like homework to me.

If not, do we get to share in the royalties?

TMT

John2005:
This is not homework, I am not in school & there are no royalties to
give. It's a problem I am stumped with and I am trying to get some help
or advice.

The cam is completely designed, I just need to "plug in" another curve
in place of the existing Parabolic curve that will have a lower maximum
contact stress. If my software would allow me to add the required
changes to the standard Parabolic or other standard curves, it would
take about three minutes for me to do or to at least find out if it's
possible or practical.

If I knew what curve has a lower maximum contact stress than the
Parabolic, and how to define it graphically or mathematically, perhaps
I could create it as a set of points, and then run a spline curve
through the points with AutoCAD.

In any event it's not homework, just a request for help and/or advice.

Best Regards,
John