Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

Default Question on portable generator usage

Thanks for the info. Various people have replied and given me some ideas
to think about so I can pass the info on to the chap that expressed an
interest in a portable set-up. The idea of renting and just getting a
bigger unit sounds good providing it's still fairly portable.

Thanks for the replies.

Dave

Jerry Martes wrote:

Hi david

I'm building a load for a 100 KW generator right now. So, 3.5 KW seems
manageable with a realistic sized gen-sets.
How big can your gen-set be?? It seems that you can rent/borrow a
gen-set thats big enough to tolerate abrupt load/unload powers of about 3
KW. I assume the furnace can tolerate a little voltage variation while the
gen-set settled down while the power level gets adjusted.

Obviously you can test the gen-set with old heater elements or electric
stove heating elements if the furnace could not tolerate surges in the input
voltage.

Jerry

"David Billington" wrote in message
k...

Normally about 1.5kW but maximum would be 3.5kW if the gathering hole is
left uncovered for sufficient time.

Jerry Martes wrote:

"David Billington" wrote in message
.uk...

A glass blower I know expressed interest in my electric glass melting
furnace, he mentioned wanting one to take to events for demonstrations
and powering it from a mobile generator. Now the controller uses a solid
state relay zero crossing switching and burst firing and I imagine the
generator may not like the rapid switching from load to no load and back.
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this type of application.
I had wondered about having a dummy heater load the same as the furnace
and switching between to two so the generator saw a constant load.

Hi David

How much power do you expect the generator to provide to the furnace
when it is ON??

Jerry