Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Default Triple-pane vs. Double-pane windows in SIPS home

Joseph Meehan wrote:

kutupembe wrote:

I am in the process of choosing windows for a SIPS home to be built in
northern Minnesota.

Here are the things I have heard:

Contractor- Don't waste your money on Triple-pane, the house is so
well insulated that the difference in energy cost won't be worth it.
Also, triple panes means two areas where seals can fail.

On this site- Energy savings is the same because the insulation
advantage of the triple-pane is countered by the fact that it reflects
more energy.

Friends - Dorwin (sp?) triple-paned have been great.

Friend - Really like H-window triple paned

I am looking for more advice. Thanks

The better insulated the rest of the home is the bigger difference that
tipple pane will make. In your area I would put them in myself. It is not
just energy saving, but it is also comfort level. Somehow I suspect the
contractor get's his best deal (most profit to him) for double pane.

Hi,
Here in Calgary Alberta MOST houses have double pane windows. My house
built in '94 has also gas filled E glass or whatever. ouse is R2000
spec. This house is cool in summer and warm in winter. I guess if both
windows have same quality level triple pane will be bewtter choice.
Window technology came a long way. In more than 10 year span I had one
window replaced due to leaking seal.