Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

Default Question on portable generator usage

Normally about 1.5kW but maximum would be 3.5kW if the gathering hole is
left uncovered for sufficient time.

Jerry Martes wrote:

"David Billington" wrote in message
k...

A glass blower I know expressed interest in my electric glass melting
furnace, he mentioned wanting one to take to events for demonstrations and
powering it from a mobile generator. Now the controller uses a solid state
relay zero crossing switching and burst firing and I imagine the generator
may not like the rapid switching from load to no load and back. Does anyone
have any knowledge or experience of this type of application. I had
wondered about having a dummy heater load the same as the furnace and
switching between to two so the generator saw a constant load.

Hi David

How much power do you expect the generator to provide to the furnace when
it is ON??

Jerry