Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Maximum length for a hot water run

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:57:54 -0500, "digitalmaster"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
newsgroups.comcast.net wrote:
I'm looking into installing another bathroom (toilet, 2 sinks, shower,
and
tub) that will be about 55 feet horizontally, and 8 feet vertically, from
my
water heater (I've got a 60-gallon indirect water heater). Is that too
far
to run a hot water line? If it is, any suggestions?

You'll be waiting a long time for hot water.

and you would need to insulate the whole line so the water will still be hot
when it gets there.

I wouldn't go that far. We had a run almost that far in a house I
lived in, and once the water got hot, it stayed hot. However, I have
no objedtion to insulation, and the kind I'm acquainted with , a
slplit foam rubber tube, is cheap. however it started to fall off the
pipes after about 15 years, so maybe there is something better for the
pipes that are hard to get to.