Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.engineering.electrical

Default Big soldering irons don't run hotter?

I've been using a Weller at work for a couple of years now, and I've
used them in previous venues, and have never had any of these problems
with them. The only problem we had was the tips loosening because
someone was driving the iron into the cleaning sponge like Norman Bates
and pushing the heating element down into the handle. Once we educated
everyone on how not to break the iron, and replaced the handle, things
were back to normal.

I use a Metcal at home, because I like the short working distance. The
length of the Weller makes soldering feel more like jousting. They've
got an iron priced competitively with everyone else now (the PS-800 I
think).