Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Default lawnmower won't start

Common problem with B&S Engines when they are not used for some time.
Take the carb apart and clean all areas you can with carb cleaner but
don't disturb the jet/needle settings. You will be looking for a flat
rubber diaphram with two small flaps on one side. This little gizmo is
the fuel pump and when it becomes brittle it hardens and no longer
functions. They are less than $2 at the parts store. Put it back
together and I believe your problem will be solved.

HamNCheese wrote:
I have a mower that I let sit for about two years while I had a
gardener. Now I'm trying to use it again and it won't start. I
drained and changed the gas, cleaned the plug, checked the air filter.
I sprayed the inside of the cylinder and the carburetor with gumout.
When I pull the starter, the engine ignites the gumout and runs for a
few seconds, then dies again. So I'm guessing that means it is
getting a spark so it's a fuel clog issue?

Anyone have any advice? This is a Craftsman (Briggs & Stratton)
standup mower that has really only been used a couple of dozen times
over the years--it's just been sitting in the garage for awhile. I
live in Los Angeles so it's fairly dry here, but it has sat through
some very hot temperatures in the summer.