Posted to alt.home.repair
John Hines

Default 200 amp main cabinet with 100 amp main breaker?

" wrote:

Anything unsafe about this rather creative idea?

It isn't un-safe, it may be un-needed. If you replace the main panel,
you can put in a sub-panel right next to it, which is fed off the main
breaker. This allows more breakers than a standard 100 amp panel can
support. (or do the same with a 200 amp).

This was the suggested way of supporting more breakers than the panel
could handle, by the village inspector, who was inspecting my panel
upgrade, when I asked about it, 100 amp in a 200 amp panel.

As other have pointed out, and I have also done, is to upgrade to
125amps, which in the case I did, only required a size bigger on the
ground wire.