Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

Default On oils and waxes

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 06:33:15 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message
. ..

SNIP..........
Ahh, here's the nub of what I was getting to. I've been wondering if
that was the reason for the oil & wax school of thought. You know, a
1/2 pound cut of shellac over the piece before staining will even that
out, if you ever feel like trying it again. Staining is nerve
wracking to learn, for sure- just my idle curiousity at work when I
was wondering if the easiest method got accepted as the "right" way to
do it because of that.

SNIP.............
===================
This is something I've commented on before, but never got a definitive
answer; when you use shellac or any sanding sealer, BEFORE staining or
applying an oil, you eliminate wood penetration. It seems to me that a lot
of the "pop" that comes from an oil treatment is lost because you're
treating the sealer and not the wood. I've used stains and colored Danish
oils mixed into other finishes to stain and finish in one step (just did a
Danish oil and poly mix yesterday to quick finish a manzanita root project).
Do you find a lack of color and contrast in projects where you seal first,
then stain versus the other way?

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.