Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

Default On oils and waxes

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 01:45:14 -0600, Prometheus
wrote:

I turn some pretty bland wood and I usually wet sand with natural Danish
oil...
If I'm sanding something kind of "blah", I'll wet sand it with the cherry
or
walnut Danish Oil to give it a little color and bring out any character..

======================
Mac,
What advantage do you get by wet sanding with the oil rather than sanding
first and then applying the oil? Is there some noticable difference in the
final appearance or just a time and step saver? The Danish oil I use (Watco)
instructs "flooding" the surface and allowing to sit for 30 minutes, then
reapplying for another 15 minutes before drying all oil off the piece. This
allows 45 minutes for max penetration. Seems to me that wet sanding wouldn't
allow this much time for penetration. Plus, on pourous woods, like oak and
walnut, the sanding slurry acts as a sealer/filler that can fill and dull
the color. Do you compensate for this, or do you not find it a problem?

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.