Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john

Default Question on portable generator usage

David Billington wrote:
A glass blower I know expressed interest in my electric glass melting
furnace, he mentioned wanting one to take to events for demonstrations
and powering it from a mobile generator. Now the controller uses a
solid state relay zero crossing switching and burst firing and I imagine
the generator may not like the rapid switching from load to no load and
back. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this type of
application. I had wondered about having a dummy heater load the same as
the furnace and switching between to two so the generator saw a constant
load.

Get a phase angle firing circuit. The generator will run better with
it. Also, transformers dont like burst firing and zero crossing
systems. A phase angle control fires on every cycle so the transformer
sees an even load, not a series of on and off for a couple of cycles at
a time.

John