Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Cotton

Default OFF TOPIC-GPS advice sought please

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:26:16 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:58:44 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Foreman quickly quoth:

I found a Garmin Geko 101. I think they sell for $89.95. Downloaded
a manual to figure out how to find the various menus. Took it on a
walk, on a route I know to be about 1.2 miles. The Geko said more
like 2 miles. Oh well, I didn't really expect it to be much good.

Tried it again the next day. It was spot on. ????? I then
realized that the first time I didn't have a pocket on my shirt so I'd
just carried it in my hand. It had measured the total distance my
hand had moved, swinging back and forth like it does while walking.
Second time I had it in my shirt pocket.

That's amazing accuracy, isn't it? What a trip. Your hands move 66.66%
more/farther than your body during walks/hikes.

I'm sure it wasn't an accurate measure, but I was still impressed
that it could even respond to small motions like that.

Like most items, you get what you pay for. I use a Quest 1 on my bicycle. It
has a recent feature, WAAS Satellite reception that assure better position
reception than gps without this feature.
A big perk is the chance to make things in my machine shop for the gps. The
latest, a mount for the bicycle with a Luexon 5 watt light is here.
http://www.billcotton.com/luxeon_lig..._gps_mount.htm I previously
made mounts from PVC and Plexiglas for weight saving. However, the 5 watt
Luxeon requires a minimum of 4 X 4 surface for heat sink. With this aluminum
mount the entire bicycle share in the heat transfer.
O yes. It is great for the car also.
This is the third unit that I have owned. the first gps, a Garmin II+ didn't
have a map inside and I used it in 1999 for a bicycle trip from Phila., PA
to Wellesley MA. I used a Libretto computer for moving map on that trip. I
also carried a 4 pound sealed lead acid battery.
http://www.billcotton.com/bike.htm