Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Default Wierd Smell From Oil Furnace

"Bubba " wrote:

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 04:12:02 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

"Bubba " wrote:

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 22:30:37 GMT, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:26:53 GMT, Bubba wrote:

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:21:35 GMT, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On 24 Mar 2006 05:22:35 -0800, Daisymoonz wrote:

My husband and I just bought an older home that we are fixing up. We
have been in the home less than a month and have already ran into a
problem with a strange smell coming from the ducts in the house. The
smell seems to be very strong when the heat first kicks on and smells
like fingernail polish remover to me.

The furnace (we believe) is the original from when the house was built
(1979). We know we are going to need to replace it. Is it just at the
end of its life? Also, this is the first we have had oil heat, so we
aren't really sure what an oily smell would be. It has an underground
tank, could something be wrong there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are new to all of this and
have no idea how to fix this.

Ignore it. If anybody drops dead of CO poisoning, then check the furnace.

Or perhaps you should bring in a professional now? Isn't the wellbeing of
your family worth $60?

$60 !!?? To do a professional cleaning/tune-up of an oil fired
$60 is just to have it checked.

furnace? Think again, Einstein.
Try thinking even once, idiot.

I wont clean an already clean furnace for $60.
Bubba

And I guess you won't even bother bringing somebody in just to check it.
No problem. Go with my first suggestion. You're too ****ing cheap to
do anything else.

You need a ****ing brain, Nimrod. Im not the customer. Im the heating
company. And once again, just because you are too stupid to
understand..............Most companies wont even drive up to your door
for $60. You are living in the past. Remember too, Im not talking
about your drunken trailer buddy with a screwdriver and a 69 Chevy
pickemup truck. Im talking about a professional HVAC company with
digital combustion efficiency test instruments and a technician that
can read, interpret and repair what he finds.
Now can you wade your sorry ass through that simple explaination and
figure it out this time?
Nahhhhhh, I didnt think you could.
Bubba

Hmm, the last oil furnace checkup I had done, in ('03 when I had an oil
furnace) was I think $110 with tax. More than $60, but not by much.

Pete C.

Ummm, in case you missed math class, that is a little more that "not
much". That is almost double in cost and you are talking 3 yrs ago.
.......and again............an oil filter change and a nozzle is NOT a
proper tune up. Find a reputable company that knows how to properly
tune an oil furnace with digital combustion efficiency equipment.
You may save several hundred gallons of oil in a season. You should
have just thrown your $110 in your oil tank.
Bubba

Perhaps you need to get a clue.

First off the checkup was not just a filter and nozzle, it also included
a full cleaning and combustion check.

Second off, with the exception of NOx emissions measurement (which won't
save you any oil), digital combustion measurement equipment does not do
anything that the older mechanical / chemical measurement equipment
doesn't do. Digital just adds convenience and makes it easier for a
barely competent service tech (you perhaps) to properly use the
equipment. Last time I checked, the digital meter hadn't replaced the
old pump smoke spot tester either.

Just for reference, I have a clue. I've had oil burner service training
(and passed with the only 100% score in the class). What I didn't have
at the time was the test equipment, a soot vac or the time to actually
do the job myself.

Pete C.