Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Can you acquire a portion of a parcel?

miamicuse wrote:
A neighbor with a 40,000 SF lot is selling the lot. The back side of
his lot line is the back side of my lot line. I have always wanted
another 50' of my backyard so I am thinking that is about 5000 SF.
Is it possible to make an offer to buy that 50' from his lot does
that require him to split his lot into a big piece and a tiny piece
first? How would one go about doing this if it is even possible?

Thanks in advance,

If you are happy the current owner is happy AND the local authorities
are happy it is a go. I would start with the local authorities. Many
places have restrictions (they may be part of the deed) to dividing lots.
If they do you may be able to get an exception as it will not be creating a
new lot, only exchanging ownership of a strip of land from one to another.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit