Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Woodburner with back boiler

Dead right.... K I S, Keep It Simple
I installed a Bont ESSE Mk4 Solid Fuel room heater with a water jacket
some 23 years ago. The quoted total output was 12kWatts. This stove
sits in the main lounge which is 4 Metres x 5 Metres with one smallish
radiator. The rest of the sytem consisting of nine radiators, one in
each room. My tame Plumber told me to run two pipes as large as you
can for as far as you can. This I did using 22mm pipe with 22mm to
10mm 'tees' where a radiator was needed. There is about 12 to 15 inches
of 10mm pipe feeding each radiator.

This stove is alight from September through to July 24/7. I use
Anthracite or to be correct Chinacite as "We" import everything these
days. In the summer months I burn fallen Beech boughs, if I can find
them and if it is warm enough. The pump has run for 23 years at 24/7
too. I sometimes switch the pump off to get some extra hot water.
There are no TRVs, zone valves or timers. It just runs. It never gets
too hot 12 miles north of Aberdeen.

Chris.