Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Default wiring a taco relay for a closet light switch

Mike wrote:
A (new construction) closet in my house has a door switch that controls
a light. The switch is wired to some low voltage thermostat wire, and
I have a switch leg that runs to the actual light mounted in the
ceiling. The idea is, the door opens and the light turns on.

My thought is to use a taco one-zone relay to set this up.

I see from the taco wiring diagram pretty much how this works, but I am
puzzled about one thing. The diagram shows that the relay is connected
to a thermostat (in my case, this connects to the closet door), to a
120 vac line (feed in), to a circulator (in my case, a ceiling light),
and to a thermostat for a boiler. Is the latter there so that the
boiler knows to turn on when the relay is energized? Can I just leave
this off because I do not need a secondary low voltage signal to go to
a device when the door to the closet opens?

(Hopefully this make sense...)

mh

Hi,
If I were you, I'd just install motion sensing light.
You open the closet, light comes on, after delay it goes out.
No mechanical anything to givre trouble.