Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Can you acquire a portion of a parcel?

"miamicuse" wrote in message
A neighbor with a 40,000 SF lot is selling the lot. The back side of his
lot line is the back side of my lot line. I have always wanted another
50'
of my backyard so I am thinking that is about 5000 SF. Is it possible to
make an offer to buy that 50' from his lot does that require him to split
his lot into a big piece and a tiny piece first? How would one go about
doing this if it is even possible?

Thanks in advance,

Sure, talk to him. Comes down to money. To make the transaction, you will
probably need some survey work and a new plat, some paperwork for the town,
re-write of the deeds.

As far as the seller, he may make more by selling you a piece of the lot and
selling the rest at the same asking price if it a good location. Or it may
make the lot less desirable as the new smaller dimension. Many local
factors for the market determine that sort of thing.

You can also buy the entire lot and they subdivide and sell it yourself.
That is done all the time. Considerations though, are minimum lot sizes for
housing in the town, water and sewer locations, any rights of way or
easements, etc.