Posted to alt.home.repair
Zaphod

Default Running Electric, Phone and Television lines

Bud-- wrote:
wrote:

On 24 Mar 2006 07:41:58 -0800, "Zaphod" wrote:

We get a lot of statric in our phone lines. I always thought it was the
crappy service lines run to the house but now I am wondering if part of
the problem is where the phone line runs into the house within a few
feet of our electric breaker box.

The only thing you could get from the power lines is a 60hz hum.
Static is a loose connection.

Noise can also be from the phone service wiring - including 'wet cables'
with old (cloth?) insulation. There are a number of bad pairs in the
underground cable that surfaces behind my garage.
Many installations will have a point where the phone line enters the
house where you can unplug the interior phone wiring and plug in a phone
to test if the problem is inside the house or in the TELCO wiring.

Presumably computer signal cables can pickup noise from running across
flourescents (and other arc-discharge lighting?). Probably to a high
frequency for phone.

bud--

Old lines is probably the problem. I did complain a few years ago and
they fixed it but it was back in couple of weeks. I am lucky if I can
sign on the internet at 2600 BPS. They ran new lines in my
Brother-In-Law's neighborhood about 5 miles from me and he can
sometimes get over 40000 BPS. SBC has no plans to upgrade around here
so we can get high speed internet.

Thanks, David