Harold & Susan Vordos

Default first milling project questions

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:09:52 GMT, "awh" wrote:

I am a new owner of a small metal lathe and milling machine. My first
milling project will be some half inch hinges for a Christmas present.

Materials will be brass for the hinge and drill rod for the pin. I am
reverse engineering a hinge that has a 5/64 inch diameter pin.

My third edition American Machinists Handbook states that for a press fit
the pin should be 0.0075 to 0.001 inch larger than the hole. For a

running
fit the hole needs to be 0.0005 to 0.001 inch larger than the pin.

I'd ream clear thru .001" over. A drop of Loctite 609 or 681 in the
last hole to engage the pin will secure the pin in place.

I wouldn't bother parting tool steel that small; just whack it off
with a thin abrasive cutoff wheel in a Dremel. It only takes a few
seconds and it doesn't matter how hard the material is.

Photos when they're done, please!

That's actually pretty good advice, but if one is trying to hold dimensions,
it isn't a solution. Using a parting tool with marked dials provides for
cutting parts to length repeatedly with precision. For a hinge, that may
not be a necessity, though.

If a heat treated pin was desired, making them from drill blanks would be
the solution, at which time the cutoff wheel would be a necessity.

Yep, I agree, a pic of the end product would be great!

Harold