Don Foreman

Default first milling project questions

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:09:52 GMT, "awh" wrote:

I am a new owner of a small metal lathe and milling machine. My first
milling project will be some half inch hinges for a Christmas present.

Materials will be brass for the hinge and drill rod for the pin. I am
reverse engineering a hinge that has a 5/64 inch diameter pin.

My third edition American Machinists Handbook states that for a press fit
the pin should be 0.0075 to 0.001 inch larger than the hole. For a running
fit the hole needs to be 0.0005 to 0.001 inch larger than the pin.

I'd ream clear thru .001" over. A drop of Loctite 609 or 681 in the
last hole to engage the pin will secure the pin in place.

I wouldn't bother parting tool steel that small; just whack it off
with a thin abrasive cutoff wheel in a Dremel. It only takes a few
seconds and it doesn't matter how hard the material is.

Photos when they're done, please!