Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard W.

Default Splines?

"trg-s338" wrote in message
oups.com...
The application is a homebuilt skid steer, therefore there is
flexibilty of design. If I understood you right, the pump and engine
shafts would be parallel/side by side linked together with the roller
chain. I just thought it would be helpful to have the option of
disengaging the engine from the pump instantly via the clutch in an
emergency but perhaps it is not standard practice nor is it necessary.
How about the thought of a direct link between the crankshaft, either
from the flywheel end or the crank snout, and the pump input shaft? A
hard link or a flexible link as suggested previously? If a disengaging
mechanism is not needed, then a weldable spline adapter to a plate
bolted onto the flywheel would be feasible? I do have a small vertical
mill and lathe. I want the simplest most direct coupling in keeping
with the KISS principle if that is possible. Some pictures as you
suggest would be great! Thanks.

Just how big of a skid steer are you going to make with a 283 engine? Must
be about the size of a D4 crawler.

What little bit of the smaller equipment that I have seen used a pump with
3 circuits built in to one pump.