Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default OFF TOPIC-GPS advice sought please

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 03:19:13 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Eric R Snow writes:

opinions and advice please because there are so many options and so
many well educated folks reading this NG.

I've used the Garmin GPS 72 (WalMart sporting goods, about $150) on my
boats for about a year. Nice, basic unit.

My kids use it to measure jogging speeds and distances, so maybe you can
justify it as an exercise device!

I found a Garmin Geko 101. I think they sell for $89.95. Downloaded
a manual to figure out how to find the various menus. Took it on a
walk, on a route I know to be about 1.2 miles. The Geko said more
like 2 miles. Oh well, I didn't really expect it to be much good.

Tried it again the next day. It was spot on. ????? I then
realized that the first time I didn't have a pocket on my shirt so I'd
just carried it in my hand. It had measured the total distance my
hand had moved, swinging back and forth like it does while walking.
Second time I had it in my shirt pocket.

I don't know how well it would work under heavy tree canopy. My
walking path is what you might call "residential wooded" -- some trees
but I can always see some sky.