Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Default Wierd Smell From Oil Furnace *URGENT*

Daisymoonz wrote:

My husband and I just bought an older home that we are fixing up. We
have been in the home less than a month and have already ran into a
problem with a strange smell coming from the ducts in the house. The
smell seems to be very strong when the heat first kicks on and smells
like fingernail polish remover to me.

We have been painting a lot over the past few days and had new carpet
installed in several rooms. Could the smell be coming from this or is
there other problems we should be concerned about.

The furnace (we believe) is the original from when the house was built
(1979). We know we are going to need to replace it. Is it just at the
end of its life? Also, this is the first we have had oil heat, so we
aren't really sure what an oily smell would be. It has an underground
tank, could something be wrong there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are new to all of this and
have no idea how to fix this.

If you're using oil based paint and/or storing it near the return air
intake that could be it.

More likely would be a cracked heat exchanger in the furnace allowing
combustion gasses to get into the house air stream. This can happen with
gas furnaces as well, however it is far more noticeable with an oil one
because of the different combustion gasses.

This is a *dangerous* condition as it will allow CO into the house which
can kill you. Have the furnace inspected *immediatly*, and while you are
waiting for them to come, open a few windows and go buy a decent CO
detector.

Pete C.