Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Default Splines?

trg-s338 wrote:

The application is a homebuilt skid steer, therefore there is
flexibilty of design. If I understood you right, the pump and engine
shafts would be parallel/side by side linked together with the roller
chain.

No I think he is indicating the shafts are inline. The sprockets are
essentially butted together and a double row chain is wrapped fully
around them to couple them. It provides more drive torque capability
that a "regular" chain drive of equivalent size since it's full 360
degree coverage, while still allowing easy disassembly and compensation
for a small amount of misalignment.

See "Roller Chain Couplings"

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF...9&PMT4TP=*LTIP

I just thought it would be helpful to have the option of
disengaging the engine from the pump instantly via the clutch in an
emergency but perhaps it is not standard practice nor is it necessary.

Hydraulic relief valves provide your first stage of "emergency"
protection, the engine kill switch provides the second.

Note that all the bigger machines use "closed center" hydraulic systems
with variable displacement pumps and/or hydrostatic drive pumps so they
don't have the heating issues you have with in an open center system
where you constantly pump hydraulic fluid.

How about the thought of a direct link between the crankshaft, either
from the flywheel end or the crank snout, and the pump input shaft? A
hard link or a flexible link as suggested previously? If a disengaging
mechanism is not needed, then a weldable spline adapter to a plate
bolted onto the flywheel would be feasible?

You need a coupling that allows for some misalignment as you're unlikely
to get prefect alignment in a home built setup.

I do have a small vertical
mill and lathe. I want the simplest most direct coupling in keeping
with the KISS principle if that is possible. Some pictures as you
suggest would be great! Thanks.

Look at the roller chain couplings on the MSC site, if you have a store
like Tractor Supply Co. in your area they should have much of what you
need in the store to look at.

Pete C.