Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Changes to Bristish Standards?

Hi,

My house was built in the early 1980s. It was constructed with a flue
which met the BS 1289:1975 - from my research this means the plaster
can be directly attached to the flue. The standard was revised after my
house constructed with BS 1289:1986 - which states that plaster cannot
be directly attached to the flue.

A local tradesman recently installed a gas fire into my flue. Whenever
I have the fire on for above 30 minutes, the plaster gets too warm and
starts cracking. He claims he's not responsible as the flue did not
comply with regulations. I claim that it does comply with regulations,
and he should of been aware that houses constructed between 1975 and
1986 could have these difficulties.

Please can you confirm who's correct?

Thanks,
Gareth