Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.engineering.electrical
Tim Williams

Default Big soldering irons don't run hotter?

"distar97" wrote in message
ups.com...
Let me offer a simple analogy about wattage. If a common match will
raise a one inch strip of metal to a certain temperature, would it not
require 12 matches to raise a 12 inch strip of metal to the same temp,
placing one match at each inch of the strip.

Not really, convection and geometry being what they are, it'll be hotter in
the center because the heat can't really "get out", while on the edges, the
heat just rolls up and away. But that's just being pedantic; ignoring such
effects, yes, you're absolutely right, power per area is temp, roughly
speaking.

More important than the physics of the issue, experience really
makes a difference. You'll find using a similar soldering station like
my old Weller WTCPN make a world of difference. It's undersized for big
jobs but perfect for circuit board work. The temp controlled tips
click on and off as necessary. For bigger work, I use a higher wattage
station not neccesarily a higher temp tip, all else being equal.

I should build an induction heated soldering iron. I've heard of Weller
irons that work like that. Mmmm, isolated tip. Tack on a thermocouple and
I've got it made.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.