Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents

Default what makes a bedroom a bedroom?

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:28:14 GMT, someone wrote:

When is a Bonus Room a bedroom?
I've heard (in Florida) that a house with a bonus room is taxed less than a
house where the bonus room is called a bedroom. Such as, a 3 bedroom with bonus
is taxed less than a 4 bedroom, even though they are all under roof and HVAC.

I think you folks are confusing "called" with "is". This "bonus room"
- do you mean the room over the garage that is acessed through another
bedroom? Then the means of access make it kinda hard to be an
independent bedroom. OTOH if it is independently accessible like the
other bedrooms, seems like it wouldn't change its nature to call it by
a different name.

Sometimes the name thing might have more potential - is that room on
the first floor an "office" or a "bedroom" so do you comp the house
against 4 BR or 3 BR houses? BUT BUT BUT - since SF and Room Count
are the same, is an 8 room 3BR + Office house really worth all that
much less than an 8 room 4BR (no office) house, as to be worthwhile
making a stink about? I think people try to put too fine a point on
this stuff.