Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Natural gas hot water heat.

"RichK" wrote in message

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

Could be the thermostat low limit. As the water sits, it cools down and

the
thermostat should kick the burner on to bring it back up. See if there
is

setting for it.

I did not realize these thermostats had low limit settings. Is the
setting
hidden under some cover or screw?

I have a similar problem, but not quite as bad. If the hot water has not
been used for a while, it comes out at least 10 deg cooler, than with use.

Rich

The setting is not user accessable. It is determined by the control unit
and generally tracks with the setpoint.

This is normal and depending on the tank size, efficiency of the insulation
and frequency of your use, you'll notice it more or less than others.

To deal with it, I run the hot into the tub until it feels warm then stop
and wait 15 min for the WH to heat to full temp. That little bit of water I
use to prime the Hot pipe causes enough cold to be introduced into the tank
to kick on the burner but not so much it that takes a long time to heat up.
When I return the hot tap is primed and the tank is topped off at max set
temp.

Similar to you using the dishwasher but more optimized to filling the tub.
I probably don't even need to run the hot as much as I do to het the WH to
light.

Without this trick, I could not fill my tub at one time, 30-45 min to heat a
depleated tank to usable temp.

PS my hot pipes are insulated.