Posted to alt.home.repair
No

Default Side money doing DIY question NOT SPAM

wrote in message
ups.com...
If you have ANY assets at all, like a house or car thats paid for
incorporate or get pricey business liability insurance.

I have a friend who was doing satellite tv installs on the side.

when walking back a sidewalk he lightly bumped the electric meter,
which wasnt attached to the home properly and the power cable had beed
covered with electric tape. REALLY UNSAFE!

Well the fire did 30 thousand in damage to the house, fire got in wall
and spread to attic. Luckily no one was hurt but the jerk who taped the
main power cable to his home and knew the service was falling off the
home sued my friend the dish installer for damages.

The installers home is largely oaid for, so he has assets, and is
fighting it in court. he was told defending will probably cost him 10
grand plus lost wages for missed work let alone general stress...But if
he loses he is out the 30K suit, plus lawyers fees all around.

His lawyer suggested he settle for 10 grand.

it should go to court in a couple years so interest is now accruing

Theres a lesson to be learned here

Thanks hal - Yep insurance for sure. Was really asking about licenses, etc.
Your dish friend is a perfect example, not what I'll be doing but similar
arrangement I suppose. In my state, from what I can tell, is that he would
not be considered a "licensed contrctor" unless he had a license for that
particular township. I'm sure he doesn't. Plus it looks like my first job
will cross stae lines. Now I need to see what rules are there! Maybe I just
review my insurance coverage and be done with it. Squirrel some cash away in
case I get a fine or something.