Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Default Splines?

trg-s338 wrote:

Is there a company out there who makes spline adapters that are
weldable? Any other source?
I am trying to get my large hydraulic piston pump hooked up to my 283
Chevy V-8 engine's clutch disc. The pump is male splined, the clutch
is female splined, both have very different diameters. Any suggestions
on how to approach this adaptation? Am I missing anything in how I
plan on marrying these two together? Thanks in advance.

You are going to have to frame up a mount of some sort for the
hydraulic pump, right?

I would consider looking for examples of the two splines that you need
and building a flexible (or not) bolt-up coupler between them. That
would allow for the option of replacing the pump with a different one if
or when it packs it in.

AFAIK there are various spline standards. The number of splines,
whether it is master splined (one spline wider than the others, doubt
that in this case) and the diameter are to be quoted when looking
through catalogs and the like.

Cheers
Trevor Jones