Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Shoppa

Default How to machine a small positive feature?

wrote:
I need to to get a positive feature which is 100um diameter and
500um
long (a very small rod) with milling machine. I can use aluminum or
steel.
I wonder if it is possible? If so which material is better? I think
aluminum
is easy to cut but may be too flexible for a feature like this. Any
suggestions
on the cutting parameters are highly appreciated.

100um = 0.1mm, right? That's a really short piece of 38 gauge copper
wire, or of 6/0 music wire. I'm guessing it might be available in
aluminum and brass too (but don't see it in any of my catalogs.)

Tim.