Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Raising Roof Joists for Loft Flooring

"Dave Page" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Other people have commented that insulation roll is "supposed" to be
laid *across* the joists. I have to assume that this precludes flooring
the loft space, and that if I want to floor my loft space,
I'll need to lay the roll *along* the joists.

Lay insulation between the joists and another layer 90 degrees to that.

I can't do that without laying the new joists at 90 degrees to the old
joists, which I'm told upthread would be a bad idea,

It is not. It speads the load and vastly reduces cold bridging.

or covering the joists.

I have seen a loft floor raised over 1 foot by using short pieces of 4X2.
all the same length. These were on end on the existing joists vertically,
and secured by small angle pieces.

Hmm, this sounds like a bigger project in terms of time and complexity
than I can budget for at the moment. Nice idea though.

Not expensive to do. Yet the results are well pleasing in many aspects.

Dave