Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

Default Sharp XG-E3000U lamp dimming

I've been using this projector for about 6 months with no problems
until last night. It was working fine for about 90 min, then the lamp
suddenly dimmed to about half brightness and I could hear a buzzing
noise similar to the sound it makes when the lamp is first starting.
I immediately shut it down for about 5-10 min. After powering it on
again it worked for about 55 min before doing the same thing.

The lamp was used when I got it, so I don't know how many hours are on
it. Does this sound like the lamp may be failing?

I've seen two of these projectors with bad power supplies and only one
with a good power supply (this one). Are there any known causes for
the high failure rate? Is there anything I can do to prevent it?
Both of the bad power supplies had a burnt out inductor and shorted
power MOSFETs in the lamp supply. It uses the same power supply as
the XG-E1200U and XG-E3500U.

I have the projector apart right now to clean the filters and check
for obvious problems.
Andy Cuffe