Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott

Default demagnetizing 4140?

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote: (clip) Stroke it a few times with one pole, then
reverse the magnet and stroke it a bit further away. Keep doing this until
you're waving the magnet in the air well away from the part. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You are, in effect, producing a gradually diminishing AC field. which is
what a degaussing coil does. As you say, it might be only partially
effective, and it would take time. How about wrapping a coil in your steel
bar, and applying a little AC voltage, and then reducing that, with a
Variac? Or look around for an existing coil to use? Lots of mechanical
devices use solenoids to make things move--for example, the automatic locks
on car doors. The important thing is, you need to produce a field that is
as strong as the one in the piece of steel, that reverses a lot of times,
getting gradually weaker and going to zero.

Yes, it takes time -- but less time than buying or building the right tool.

Were I to do it all the time I'd get or make the right tool.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/