Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default sale of immersion heater elements - new regs??

Andy Hall wrote:

Is it not possible that an immersion heater is regarded as being a
kitchen/bathroom appliance and hence under part p?

sponix

Even if it were, then there is nothing in Part P controlling sale of
products. In fact relatively little legislation does this - some
medical equipment being the only one that springs to mind.

Thanks. I rang TLC as you suggested in your earlier post & the clearly
knowledgeable person answering thought A1 must have misunderstood who
can do the job (partP etc) as against who can legally sell or buy the
kit. He said he'd try to clear the issue with A1.

The dual element version TLC used to sell is now history - discontinued
by the manufacturers. Looks like 2-heat immersion elements are out of
fashion.

Bearing in mind previous conversations heard/overheard at A1, it has
left me wondering whether some campaign literature ex NICEIC or ECA
calling for tighter restrictions has been misunderstood. Anyone any
access to NICEIC/ECA campaign literature/web site?