Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry

Default sale of immersion heater elements - new regs??

"Sponix" wrote in message
On 22 Mar 2006 15:39:31 -0800, wrote:

Needing a replacement element, I was somewhat surprised to be told by a
TLC outlet (A!) that they don't stock immersion heater elements as it
is illegal for A1 to sell them & they must be fitted by registered
plumbers.

new regs or some misunderstanding?

Elements are still listed on
www.tlc-direct.co.uk, though the one I
needed (dual element unswitched) - which is in the current tlc catalog
- is no longer offered.

What's going on?

Is it not possible that an immersion heater is regarded as being a
kitchen/bathroom appliance and hence under part p?

sponix

Sounds like a load of bureaucratic cr**! Does it indicate, interestingly,
how over-regulated everything now seems to be over there; where I came from?

We buy replacement elements, thermostats, pressure relief valves etc. from a
variety of outlets. I can think of five such within less than 10 kms
(population in general area around 250,000) where one would expect to find
such items in stock. Canadian Tire Store or Home Depot, being typical.

Simultaneously to this there is a thread of postings on a very similar North
American (do-it-your-self) news-group to this one, where we are currently
discussing how often it is necessary to self-replace complete electric hot
water heaters 'hot water tanks' (in our case that's about three times in 35+
years), replacing 'stop-cock' water valves with quarter turn shut offs and
the proper way for the d-i-yer to run wiring through joists etc.

We self built, with two carpenters, the two houses we have lived and brought
up a family in during the last 50 years. With never a fire, a leak or a
storm problem, in what I would suggest is a severe and demanding climate.
An up to date house inspection the other day recommended a couple of minor
things, such as a CO detector cos we have asked the insurance company the
annual premium cost increase to add an occasional use wood stove, also a
second fire extinguisher! Nothing basically at fault with house at all.

Total electrical repairs in this all-electric four bedroom house, for
example, have been.
Three wall mounted AC thermostats that control the individual electric
baseboard heaters in each room. One was changed because of style!
One 230 volt 20 amp circuit breaker.
The outside mounted electric power meter 'socket'. Facing NE towards the
Atlantic less than a kilometre away, after some 30 years corroded. The meter
itself is owned by the power company; we own the socket.

Also replaced: The water heater, original plus two replacements. The
electric cooking stove replaced a couple of times (we ran a catering company
at one time!); the much self repaired dryer is now 46 years old, the washer
again the other day, was this time more of a mechanical than an electric
problem etc. etc. I noticed a cracked but not currently in use duplex outlet
in one bedroom the other day, nothing plugged into it but will replace it
as time permits.

Plumbing; originally we had a well and septic, all self installed to Dept.
Health standards; now municipal water and sewer. Which meant that all
connections had to be turned around and our own trench dug out to the
street. No problems with that except that it's about time to start replacing
the innards (or at least the washers and rubbers) of some of the more
numerous than required hot and cold water shut-offs.

And so it goes; for a big/heavy job one might, especially now in the mid 70s
age group, hire a helper although 90% of this house is self maintainable.

Someone has just offered me, later this summer, after they have rebuilt
their house and moved back in, a used shed; it's about 10 feet wide by some
16 feet long. A bit big and expensive to move whole, although I've done that
before. It looks as though I'll have to disassemble and salvage the material
for reuse. Also the location to which it will be moved is not that
accessible; and it will also be an opportunity to improve its construction
and possibly do away with one smaller shed closer to the house which houses
bicycles, winter tyres and wheels for the vehicles, garden tools, snow
shovels and a generator. The municipality rule (no permit required) is that
it be not closer to the street than the house itself and allows a minimum
three feet clearance between any structure and fence, to permit fire-person
with hose to get to back of properties.Since that already satisfied, foresee
no problems rebuilding it somewhat larger in our back yard. Possibly to
store my son's vintage car and thereby free-up the attached 11 by 18 foot
garage!

Anyway; best of luck mates.
Ex Liverpool 50 years back!