Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Scrim

Default Sony GDM-F520 Monitor - Strange Blur Problem

"Andy Cuffe" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:26:21 GMT, "Scrim" wrote:

The only other possibility I can think of is if they do have separate
horizontal and vertical focus

They do in fact have separate horizontal and vertical focus. The two
interact slightly, so if it goes out of horizontal focus, the vertical
focus will also be affected.

I had a 21" Sony with a CRT that would intermittently go way out of
focus in the horizontal direction. Sometimes it was unusable, but it
often went for weeks without a problem. Normally it would only snap
out of focus for a second or two every few days. I eventually
replaced the CRT with one from a scrap monitor and it's been working
fine for a couple of years.
Andy Cuffe

Hi Andy,
It sounds like I'll have to reluctantly accept the problem might be the
tube, but take a look at the HV multiplier area first.
In the GDM-F520 Service Manual (page 3-5) is a diagram showing the "FBT"
with two knobs marked "Focus 1" & "Focus 2". Is that one each for Horizontal
& Vertical focus? If so , I wouldn't mind betting that the pot track contact
is playing up. If not, are there pots elsewhere?
I'm really keen to keep this monitor running for a few year, not just to get
my monies worth (important), but because I doubt I'll replace it with
anything as good! It's only thanks to everyone changing over to panel
screens that the opportunity to own a top of the range monitor like this has
come my way.Thank you progress! It's ironic that it turns out the top of the
range monitor has serious design flaws! Sony! Hang your heads in shame! Dig
out your Samurai Swords, or apologise and do your best to remedy the
situation (with information if nothing else)!
Scrim