Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Creeps

"Rick Frazier" wrote in message
news:4HoUf.3673$4N1.2950@trnddc06...
George:

I don't have the same problem... I typically cut from the bottom of the
bowl to the rim, that way I'm not cutting against the grain on end grain
bowls (grain is parallel with the bed of the lathe). Also do a lot of
cutting from the rim down to the center on the back, again, the cutting is
"downhill". As much of my turning is end grain (norfolk pine, milo and
other hawaiian woods) it just seems natural to do it this way.

It's the only way to avoid problems in that orientation unless the wood is
particularly dense. As I normally cut with grain perpendicular to the bed,
it just creeped me out. Do something a thousand times then change - well,
it's unnatural.