Posted to alt.home.repair
DT

Default electrical question - Can romex be run though ceiling joists ?

In article ,
lid says...

DT ) said...

In general, bore holes in the center of the joist, not near the top or
bottom, and it is better to place them closer to the ends of the joist
rather than out in the middle of the span.

Is this true for solid wood joists? It is definately NOT true for I-joists.

For I-joists, you can put a hole up to 1.5" in diameter anywhere you
please - in fact, they come wth pre-stamped 1.5" knock-outs about a foot
apart all along their length.

Actually, the center 1/3 span restriction is for notches, the graphic address
both notches and holes.

Dennis