Posted to alt.home.repair
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Default electrical question - Can romex be run though ceiling joists ?

DT ) said...

In general, bore holes in the center of the joist, not near the top or
bottom, and it is better to place them closer to the ends of the joist
rather than out in the middle of the span.

Is this true for solid wood joists? It is definately NOT true for I-joists.

For I-joists, you can put a hole up to 1.5" in diameter anywhere you
please - in fact, they come wth pre-stamped 1.5" knock-outs about a foot
apart all along their length.

For larger diameter holes, there are guidelines as to how close you can
be to a bearing surface - the larger the hole, the farther you have to be
from a bearing surface.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"