Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Rick Frazier

Default Creeps

George:

I don't have the same problem... I typically cut from the bottom of the
bowl to the rim, that way I'm not cutting against the grain on end grain
bowls (grain is parallel with the bed of the lathe). Also do a lot of
cutting from the rim down to the center on the back, again, the cutting
is "downhill". As much of my turning is end grain (norfolk pine, milo
and other hawaiian woods) it just seems natural to do it this way. Of
course, if you were taught differently, and more comfortable the other
way, then do what makes sense to you.

--Rick

George wrote:
Ever have the feeling that something's just plain wrong? I was turning a
piece today where I had to go up hill to go down grain, and I must have put
the gouge in the wrong place ten times after pausing the lathe. Just gives
you the creeps to be cutting up hill from the center of a bowl to the rim.
Or from the rim toward the center on the back side.

Was pretty lucky, actually. It was a fully parted-off bowl with what was
once a 2" mortise on the back, and no pillar in the front, as I normally dry
my things. Just out of effective reach for the 1" jaws, but the 2" wouldn't
fit after a concentric dry. Ended up turning a mandrel like they did in the
old days, wedging into the recess, cut a really shallow groove to grip with
the Power-Grip jaws in the face, got enough to hold, and was able to do the
recess on the bottom without losing it.

Worst part of it is, it just looks ugly. No color in the raw, and oil
doesn't seem to have done much for it. At least it was a learning
experience, if not a creative one.

Still feels weird to cut in reverse, though.