Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Wenz

Default stealth aluminum?

wrote:
Yeah I have seen that, you MUST upgrade to special outlets and switches
compatible with that junk alunimum wire or better yet just replace it.
If its not all coppewr its a BIG fire hazard

True. Unfortunately, our 1966 home (USA) was wired with aluminum wiring.
Years back, I did the usual searching on the 'Net and found lots of good
stuff on what could be done with the wire other than complete
replacement (Best method if you have the cash). I received a Gov't.
publication on "fixes", which included replacing all receptacles with
Cu/Al receptacles using a torque screw driver, pig tailing with a
special connector and "approved" (expensive) professional crimping
device, using wire nuts designed for Cu-Al connections with a special
"goop" to prevent oxidation (Some of those goops were/are flammable,
though, I discovered) again from 'Net snooping. All new work in our home
has been done with copper wiring, but, lazily, we haven't done anything
else to replace the existing Al wiring. I do occasionally go around the
house feeling receptacles for heat (None so far).

The Gov't. publication, which I still have from the Consumer Product
Safety Commission, was later superseded by another, which simply noted
that you should consult with an electrical professional - the dumbing
down of the US public being assumed, I guess.

Finally, we just bought a new dishwasher, and had it installed since I'd
installed the last one and wanted to be sure a "professional" install
the new one. I mentioned the aluminum wires running up to the washer,
but the fellow had no idea as to what I was talking about. I am thinking
of having at least the Al wiring leading to the washer replaced with
copper, since it's a pretty straight run to the circuit breaker panel in
the floor below. I'll ask the electrician, after we locate a "good" one,
what else he might do to replace at least the high current wiring with
copper.