Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Types of grasses (sod)

I actually bought some sod from deltabluegrass last year. I got what they
called Renegade (used at oakland stadium). A premium blend of the dwarf
fescue and 20% bluegrass (if I recall correctly). A bit more $ than the
standard grades but I only had 200SF to cover.

At first there were a few small patches that didn't take (I think the dog
contributed) but now it has filled in. The blend shows off the bluegrass in
the winter when it is rainier and the fescue does better in the summer.
After 1 year, it is starting to behave well except for a patch that got
killed by some stuff left on top too long.

Looks good too, grows at a moderate pace and never sends up tall seed stalks
(even in the corner where my mower can't reach). Unmowed, 8"-10" max

Only problem with a premium grass from a farm, is if you need to patch,
getting a small matching quantity might be difficult. The sales person said
they might put a small order on a truck otherwise scheduled for my area but
I have yet to test that promise.

Since the climate at the farm is similar to most of the bay area, anything
they grow should grow well in your yard. I simply relied on the salesperson
to recommend the best blend for my part sun part shade lawn.

I forget which but some of the farms sell a no mow variety. It grows about
6-8" and falls over. Pretty neat for low traffic.

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
We need to replace the back lawn. I have a sod catalog from Delta
Bluegrass (http://www.deltabluegrass.com/) that offers 10-12
varieties. Each one is rated on a scale of 0-10 for tolerance to
drought, disease, wear, shade, and heat.

We live in a temperate climate (San Francisco Bay Area), so heat
tolerance is not an issue. It will get watered so drought tolerance is
not an issue. It gets only moderate to low traffic so that's not an
issue either.

That leaves disease and shade. Most of the lawn (75%) gets at least
2-3 hours of sun each day; somewhat more in the summer. One end gets
maybe half that. I'm not sure if that qualifies as full sun, partial
sun, or what.

The sod company offers both single variety sods as well as blends. I
am thinking the single variety sods would be better because the blends
will tend to turn into single varieties over time. Right?

Here are the ones I am considering:

1. 100% Bolero Dwarf Fescue.
7 drought
6 disease
5 wear
5 shade
9 heat
They claim that it is a new fescue that looks like Kentucky bluegrass.

2. Bluegrass. A 4-way bluegrass blend.
6 drought
8 disease
7 wear
5 shade
1 heat
Said to be best in cooler coastal and mountain climates of California.
We are neither coastal or mountainous. It can get into the 90s for a
few days.

3. 100% Rye.
5 drought
8 disease
4 wear
8 shade
3 heat
Said to be designed for golf courses.

Does anyone have any experience with any of thse grasses?

Thanks

--
For email, use