Posted to rec.outdoors.rv-travel,alt.home.repair
Steve Wolf

Default Is there a reasonable soundwall for a loud generator

Based on what John experienced I changed out my broken Onan (SEE BELOW) with
a QuietPak 55G and am AMAZED at the difference ... as is the neighbor. The
generator compartment is next to his side door. During blackouts he mooches
electricity but otherwise he'd of complained about the Onan. The Generac
isn't hardly noticeable.

NOW! If they'd tighten the darn screws. The warranty shop that had to
tighten my screws said they are notorious for leaving the shop busted.

No matter, there is no competition. I wouldn't go with any other.

Steve
www.wolfswords.com under the motorhome tab, then under the generator tab

FOR SALE: One Onan 6k that works great, starts quick, and is otherwise in
perfect shape except for the voltage being at about 80 volts. It is
probably a shorted winding. I understand many models of Onan have the same
winding. Asking ... I don't know ... CHEAP! PICKUP ONLY near the real
Cleveland. Not far from the Rock-and-Roll Hall of Fame, Cedar Point
Amusement Park (much better than those other parks), etc.

"Neon John" wrote in message
Yes it is. I've written extensively about this in recent years. You
might want to try the google archives.

If you want a quick tip, look for marine acoustical treatments.
They're much more advanced than RVs.

You might also want to look at the photos he

http://www.johngsbbq.com/Neon_John_s...Quiet_home.htm

to study how Generac did it with their QuietPack line of generators,
the quietest ones I've ever laid ears on! Major features:

* heavy metal case. Probably at least 12 gauge.
* Heavy coating of sound damping paint, probably powder-coated.
* Fiberglass sound absorbent on internal surfaces.
* sound damping metal shields around the engine. All panels are
coated with the same heavy sound damping finish.
* A huge muffler (all of the space to the left of the open bay) in a
fiberglass damped compartment.
* baffled air intake.

John

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 08:58:37 -0800, "PeterM"
wrote:

I just got back from a vacation, and my neighbor mentioned that my son's
generator is too loud. I'm wondering if there is a way we can make it not
so
loud. build a wall, buy maybe some igloo thing, with a exhaust fan, or
something like that...Any help is appreciated

---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.-Ralph Waldo
Emerson