Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Water Shutoffs: Knob vs Lever

"Abe" wrote in message
My kitchen sink is at the end of the water supply run. Bath tub comes
first,
then bathroom sink, and finally, the kitchen. The water pressure in the
bathroom is fine, but it's bordering on anemic at the kitchen faucet. It's
brand new Moen, and the same problem existed before I installed the
faucet.
I wonder if the reason is that in the supply line, after the bathroom but
before the kitchen, there are shutoffs - the lever type that you turn 90
degrees to operate. Does that type have any sort of bad reputation for
messing with pressure, as compared to the knob type that requires several
revolutions to open or close?

The type of shutoff has no bearing on pressure.

Half true.

Regardless of the amount of valve opening, Static pressure will be equal at
both sides of the valve when no water is flowing.

While the water is running, the Dynamic water pressure will be reduced by
the amount the valve is closed (impedance).

It's just like voltage across and current through a resistor.

Multi turn valves allow more control over dynamic pressure but have
reliability issues with being turned all the way off. Ball valves (lever or
knob) turn all the way off and on better but have less control in the middle